Thursday 8 September 2011

Bring up the reinforcements...


I really didn't expect to find myself getting this excited about civil engineering... conversations about piling, grades of grit and slump values were liable to leave me pretty cold, I thought.  How wrong I was!


Last week we saw the pouring of the foundation pad for the Archimedean screw.  This week the reinforcing bars have been laid out through which will be poured the main trough (using a fairly dry mix to avoid it slumping down the slope).  This is a make-or-break moment, because if it goes wrong it's a heck of a lot of effort to cut it out again - it's reinforced for a reason, after all...

When looking at the quantity of concrete going in here, it gives an idea of the forces which are being accommodated in the design - this is serious hardware, and a stark reminder of the underlying power of an otherwise tranquil river in spate.

No comments:

Post a Comment