Adapting the character of the valley to give a more Italianate feel, the altered the façade of the house, placed the statue of Britannia on the mediaeval bridge and changed elements of the other buildings in the yard to romanticise the hamlet. His greatest work at Iford was undoubtedly his Cloister, and this year it celebrated its 100th Birthday.
Present at the celebratory lunch were members of the team who have spent decades curating and restoring the garden at Iford. Gardens are the sum of many parts, but the skill of those that work with the plants and structural fabric is a cornerstone to their successful restoration and maintenance.
The sun emerged from the rain-clouds just as the ghostly statue was unveiled. Mr Peto had returned for the first time since his death in 1933, and he provided sunshine too for the occasion.
The roses on Peto's papers in the top photograph are the first blooms from the newly planted historic forms: Paul Transon (pink, from 1900) and the Noisette Claire Jacquier (from 1888).
We hope Harold would raise a wry smile, at least.